Nomads of Mongolia: part 1

 Nomads of Mongolia

Mongolia

Mongolia is a land of vast, sweeping landscapes and rich cultural traditions. From the rugged mountains to the rolling grasslands, this country is home to some of the most breathtaking natural beauty in the world. And with a unique culture that blends ancient customs with modern influences, Mongolia is a fascinating destination for travelers seeking adventure and enlightenment.

Recently, I had the opportunity to embark on a 14-day trip to Mongolia, where I explored the country's diverse landscapes, sampled its delicious cuisine, and met some of its warm and welcoming people. From the bustling capital city of Ulaanbaatar to the remote reaches of the Gobi Desert, my journey through Mongolia was a journey of discovery and wonder.

In this blog post, I'll take you through each day of my trip, sharing detailed descriptions of the sights I saw, the foods I ate, and the people I met. So sit back, relax, and join me on a virtual tour of this incredible country.


Day 1: Ulaanbaatar After arriving in Ulaanbaatar, the capital of Mongolia, I spent the day exploring the city's main attractions. I visited the Gandantegchinlen Monastery, which is one of the largest and most important Buddhist monasteries in Mongolia. I also went to the National Museum of Mongolia to learn more about the country's history and culture. For dinner, I tried traditional Mongolian cuisine at a local restaurant, which included dishes such as buuz (steamed dumplings filled with meat), khuushuur (deep-fried meat-filled pastries), and airag (fermented mare's milk).

Day 2: Terelj National Park On the second day, I went on a day trip to Terelj National Park, which is located about 80 kilometers from Ulaanbaatar. The park is known for its stunning natural scenery, including rugged mountains, valleys, and rivers. I hiked to Turtle Rock, which is a large rock formation that resembles a turtle. I also visited the Aryabal Meditation Temple, which is a unique temple that is carved into a mountain. For lunch, I had khorkhog, which is a traditional Mongolian dish made with lamb that is cooked with hot stones.

Day 3: Kharkhorin On the third day, I took a long drive to Kharkhorin, which was the ancient capital of Mongolia during the 13th century. I visited the Erdene Zuu Monastery, which is one of the oldest and most important monasteries in Mongolia. I also explored the ruins of the ancient city, including the remains of the old walls and the Palace of the Great Khan. For dinner, I tried tsuivan, which is a popular Mongolian dish made with noodles, vegetables, and meat.

Day 4: Orkhon Valley On the fourth day, I went on a hike in the Orkhon Valley, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its stunning natural beauty. I hiked to the waterfall at Ulaan Tsutgalan and had a picnic lunch by the river. In the afternoon, I visited a local family to learn more about their way of life and to try traditional Mongolian dairy products such as yogurt and cheese.

Day 5: Tsenkher Hot Springs On the fifth day, I went to Tsenkher Hot Springs, which is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. I soaked in the hot springs and enjoyed the natural surroundings. For lunch, I had buuz and khuushuur again, as they were becoming my favorite Mongolian dishes.

The journey will continue in the next post. Thank you for reading. If you liked it please leave a comment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nomads of Mongolia: part 2

Middle East: Part 1

How it all started...